The online MOBA community wouldn’t be what it is if it weren’t for the success of Riot Games free to play game, League of Legends. Released in 2009, the last 7 years have been very profitable, with lots of fun and secrets surrounding the champions of Runeterra. So here are 10 interesting facts to share with your LoL friends.
1. Tristana, the small blue marksman, has a special ability called Buster Shot. This attack is a callback to another small blue hero, Megaman!
2. In 2010, a young man named George ” HotshotGG” Georgallidis dropped out of college in to play LoL. He went on to found a professional online team named Counter Logic Gaming. CLG has grown to include various other competitive games, and is still actively competing in League of Legends matches.
3. The 2010 Halloween Event “The Harrowing” had a special Halloween skin for the map Summoners Rift which featured coffins strewn about the map. Three of these coffins held the “corpses” of three cancelled characters, Plant King, Averdrian, and The Voodoo Shaman. These three characters were scrapped before being completed, and this easter egg was a nod to their “death”.
4. According to a question to the developers on LoL official forums, it was revealed that the first six characters to be designed were Singed, Annie, Sion, Sivir, Twisted Fate, and Blind Monk. This is interesting because Blind Monk was not actually released until two years after the game went live. Developers commented that he was originally cut because he was “not fantasy enough.”
5. The jokes on the internet about Koreans being amazing at video games has some backing thanks to League. Korean Players have won a total of 5.5 million dollars from competitive play since 2009!
6. The rarest skin in the game is the “PAX Twisted Fate” skin. This was an exclusive code given away at the PAX gaming event in 2009, and still sells online for anywhere from $250 to $500 dollars!
7. A good ninja works alone, which is why for every ninja champion on the map, every ninja loses one health.
8. On the Map Twisted Treeline, the monster Vilemaw has an easter egg where, if two champions use the dance emote in front of him, he will start to dance as well!
9. The first ever LoL Worlds LCS had a prize pool of $99,500. In 2016 the prize pool was $5,070,000! That’s a whole lot of money for a Free to Play game!
10. While playing as the champion Braum, players can give Poro some Poro-Snax and the adorable little critter while grow an impressive black moustache!
If you have enjoyed these fun facts, and want to see more League of Legends related content, then maybe you should check out our weekly cosplay gallery on 15 League of Legends Cosplayers You’ve (Probably) Never Heard Of! And don’t forget to follow Bonus Level Gaming on Facebook for the latest in gaming news, memes, cosplay and more! Thanks for reading!